skip to primary navigationskip to content


Fulmodeston is a large parish in the north of Norfolk, situated just to the east of Fakenham and south of the A148 connecting Kings Lynn and Cromer to the northeast. The settlement is focused around crossroads, at which sits the later 19th century Christ Church, built to replace the original medieval parish church of St Mary's that is now sited out to the far south of the village and behind Fulmodeston Hall.

The name Fulmodeston derives from Old German to mean 'farmstead of a man called Fulcmod' and the settlement was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Fulmotestuna for which there is one entry, although the church is included in this entry. The parish today includes the hamlets of Clipstone, Croxton and Barney.


Local Information Websites

Fulmodeston Parish Council

The Barney and Fulmodeston Local History Group

Norfolk Heritage Explorer Parish Summary

British History Online

English Heritage - search the list

Heritage Gateway



Projects by Year



Fulmodeston Pottery Distribution Maps 2018


Click here for the summary report of the Fulmodeston test pitting results