skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

Wendens Ambo

 

 

 Wendens Ambo is a small rural village rising from the western banks of the River Cam/Granta, 23km south of Cambridge and 15km north of Bishops Stortford. It sits between 55m and 70m OD on a bedrock of chalk with superficial deposits of both river terrace sands and gravels as well as silts and clays. The village was effectively cut in two when the Eastern Counties Railway was completed by 1845 and the construction of the M11 immediately west of the village also affected the village in more recent times.

The name Wendens likely derives from the Old English of wende and denu to mean 'winding valley', and was recorded as Wendena in the Domesday Book of AD1086. The word Ambo refers to the union of the two parishes called Great and Little Wenden in 1662. Known Iron Age and Romano-British settlement has been excavated nearby and the church of St Mary the Virgin dates from the 11th century that also most likely replaced an earlier wooden church on the same site.

 

Local Information Websites

Wendens Ambo Parish Council

St Mary's Church

Recording Uttlesford History

Parish: British History Onliine

Historic England

Heritage Gateway

 

Full text for John Mackay book. "Wendens Ambo: The History of an Essex Village"

Wendens Ambo Conservation Area Appraisal

 

Projects by year

2017

 

Wendens Ambo Pottery Distribution Maps 2017