skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

Althorne, Essex

© https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althorne

Althorne is a small village, 22km southeast of Chelmsford and 4.5km northwest of Burnham-on-Crouch overlooking the River Crouch to the south. It is on a peninsula of land in southeast Essex known as the Dengie Hundred. Althorne was not recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, although some of the parish was potentially included in the record for Southminster. The name Althorne derives from Old English and was recorded as Aledhorn to mean '(place at) the burnt thorn-tree' and in 1198. The church of St Andrew dates from the late 14th century and is set back from the main road to the west of the linear ribbon of development. 

 

Local Information Websites

Althorne Parish Council

Althorne Village

The Dengie Hundred

British History Online

History House

Unlocking Essex's Past (SEAX Archaeology)

English Heritage - search the list

Heritage Gateway

 

Projects by Year

2018