Maidenhall lies on the south side of Ipswich, west of the River Orwell, now in an area divided by a railway line and dominated by wharfs and container parks. The Maidenhall area lay within the medieval parish of Stoke, but the medieval church of St Mary at Stoke, the only one this side of the river, lies more than 1km to the north of Maidenhall today. The location of a second medieval church, dedicated to St Augustine, is not known, but no medieval settlement is known in the Maidenhall area. With the exception of the former isolated Maiden Hall residence, the Maidenhall area is depicted as devoid of settlement on 19th century Ordnance Survey maps, when it is shown as an area of fields traversed by the Colchester stretch of the Great Eastern Railway line. The first known housing in the Maidenhall area dates to the post-World War Two era, when a council estate was built and the present street pattern established. A Baptist church was founded in June 1955 on Halifax Road. Although Maidenhall is close to the important Anglo-Saxon settlement of Ipswich, archaeological finds from the area are predominantly of Palaeolithic date, mostly derived from the Stoke bone bed, where excavations have produced faunal remains including mammoth, along with a small number of worked flints (inf. ex. Suffolk HER MSF4967). The only archaeological evidence of medieval date from the area is a man's bronze finger ring dating to the 13th – 14th century AD, from a garden on Maidenhall Approach (inf. ex. Suffolk HER MSF5030).
Local Information Websites
Projects by Year