Nine test pits were dug in Chediston in 2008, bringing the total excavated over three years to thirty. New areas investigated in 2008 included sites outside the present village at Chediston Hall (CHE/08/1); the moated site of Chediston Grange (CHE/08/2 and CHE/08/3); Bridge Farm (CHE/08/4) and Packway Farm (CHE/08/5). With the exception of CHE/08/1, these all produced small amounts of Thetford ware (850-1100 AD). Although none produced more than a single sherd, at Bridge Farm and Packway Farm these came from low levels with no evidence of disturbance post-1550, likely to represent undisturbed medieval deposits. It is difficult to know how to interpret these data, but they are provisionally considered to hint at the possibility that these elements of the settlement pattern may have been in existence before the Norman Conquest. Less uncertainty relates to their occupation in the post-conquest period which is well-attested by ceramic finds. All three sites also appear to have continued to be occupied throughout the later medieval period, with significant quantities of later medieval transitional ware found. Although it should be noted that a kiln producing such pottery existed in Chediston Green, it is nonetheless unlikely that it would have made its way to these sites in these quantities had they been abandoned at this date.
Further pits excavated in 2008 in the present village core near the church and in Chediston Green supported suggestions based on test pitting in 2006 and 2007 that only Chediston was occupied in the later Anglo-Saxon period, with Chediston Green coming into existence in the eleventh to fourteenth centuries, during which time it may have been of a similar size to Chediston. Neither settlement was large, with pits on the sites of the outlying farms producing as much if not more pottery that those in Chediston or Chediston Green. There is here increasingly convincing evidence for a dispersed pattern of settlement existing throughout the medieval period, growing from roots established perhaps as early as the ninth century. The site of Chediston Hall (CHE/08/1) appears to be a new introduction in the sixteenth century.