12 test pits were excavated in Chediston by HEFA in 2006, most in the area around the church. Roman pottery, associated with a light industrial waste tip, was found in the easternmost of these (CHE/06/7): this was unsurprising given the known presence of Roman occupation nearby, but it is perhaps surprising that this was the only test pit excavated in Chediston in 2006 to produce any Roman material. Although only one test pit (CHE/06/2) produced any pottery of Anglo-Saxon date, these four sherds of Thetford Ware came from an undisturbed level which also contained burnt daub (tentatively interpreted as part of an oven or possibly a burnt building) and lay directly on top of a floor surface cut by a post hole. This, it seems, was the site of a structure of some sort near the church in the late Anglo-Saxon period. From the post-Conquest period, the evidence from this part of the present settlement is very limited, perhaps indicating 11th-16th century settlement here to have been of limited extent. Only two of the test pits in this part of the present village (CHE/06/1 and 4) revealed any mid 11th-mid 14th century pottery, and only one (CHE/06/7) produced pottery from c. 1400-1550. At Chediston Green, by way of contrast, three test pits produced 11th-14th century pottery (CHE/06/8, 10 and 11), with CHE06/8 and 10 both revealing more of material of this date than any of the pits in the area around the church both (CHE/06/8, at Ash Farm, contained 33 sherds of early medieval sandy ware between 0.4m-0.8m below the surface in apparently undisturbed layers containing no later material). This activity predates the production of pottery in this part of the settlement by at least a century or so. CHE/06/9, 10 and 11 all produced 15th-16th century pottery, mostly in small amounts, contemporary with production at the nearby kiln site adjacent to CHE/06/10, although notably no pottery from this period was recovered from the test pit at Ash Farm.