Terrington was the first site to be investigated by HEFA. A total of nine test pits were excavated in Terrington St Clement in July 2005, one of which was dug by one of the property owners, at the same time and using the same instructions and recording system, the other eight were dug by 28 year 9 pupils (mostly aged 14). The main focus of HEFA attention in this large village was on the eastern side of the settlement, north and south of the church, although one 'outlier' was sited c. 1500m to the west, on the top of the sea defence bank, known as Roman Bank. This produced only pottery of Victorian and later date, relating to occupation of one of the cottages sites on top of the bank. Of more interest was late Anglo-Saxon pottery which was found in lower, undisturbed layers of the three test pits north of the church (TP 05/4, 05/5 and 05/8), including Thetford Ware and Stamford Ware, also found in TP 05/7 immediately west of the church. TP 05/7 also revealed undisturbed early levels, in this case containing medieval pottery (Grimston Ware, dating to c. AD 1080 and 1400) and a floor surface with slight traces of a post hole. Undisturbed levels with Grimston Ware were also present in 05/50, south-west of the church. One very abraded sherd of Grimston Ware in TP 05/2, found 20-30cm below the surface, appears more likely to have been associated with manuring, suggesting that this northern-most part of the present village was under cultivation in the Middle Ages. None of the test pits north of the church produced pottery post-dating c. 1550.
Taken together, the evidence from the 2005 test pits indicates that the areas both north and south of the church were in occupation from the late Anglo-Saxon period until perhaps the later Middle Ages, possibly as a planned row settlement along the line of the present Church Street. This itself suggests that the most likely date for the construction of Roman Bank (known, despite the name, not to be Roman as these levels are buried beneath c. 2m of post-Roman silts) is around the 9th or 10th century AD, as occupation north of the church would not have been possible before the construction of the bank. Further HEFA-derived work in the future in Terrington St Clement will aim to investigate other parts of the village including looking at possible manorial sites within the area of the current settlement.