Gaywood is today a small community which is effectively a suburb of Kings Lynn, lying on this town’s east side. The medieval community of Gaywood seems always to have been small, but hosted two hospitals, including a leper hospital founded in 1145. Settlement at Gaywood today is arranged along three main roads. Gayton Road runs east-west from Kings Lynn to Gayton, with the parish church of St Faith 50m to its south, near its junction with Lynn Road (running west to Kings Lynn) and Wootton Road, which runs in a north-easterly direction on the east side of the Lynn River. Housing along these roads is mostly late Victorian, with twentieth century estates infilling the surrounding area. Test pit digging by HEFA teams took place in 2010 in response to the discovery of substantial quantities of middle Anglo-Saxon Ipswich Ware (produced 720 – 850 AD) in the garden of one resident of Wootton Road, which was reported to Andrew Rogerson at Norfolk Landscape Archaeology.
Local Information Websites
Projects by Year