Another twelve test pits were excavated in Carleton Rode in 2008, bringing the total to twenty-five. The evidence from these very closely mirrored that from 2007, supporting the inferences made then regarding the development of the settlement. The only entirely new discovery was a shallow cut feature which contained pottery of late Iron Age date in the upper fill and was tentatively interpreted as the drip gully of a round house. Otherwise the data echoed that of 2007: no Roman material was found in any of the pits, while pottery of late Anglo-Saxon date was once again found only in the Flaxlands area of the present village. Nearly all of the pits in this area produced significant quantities of post-Conquest pottery. The spatial limits of the settlement in 1100-1400 AD appear to be marked by a sharp decrease in the number of sherds recovered between CRO/08/11 and CRO/08/7 (from nine in CRO/08/10 and twenty-seven in CRO/08/11 to just one in CRO/08/7 and CRO/08/8). This seems likely to mark the edge of village and the beginning of the non-settlement land (probably the arable fields), which encompassed the area around the church which has still produced only three sherds of pottery from nine test pits. The marked decline, noted in 2007, in activity by the fifteenth century is also clearly evident from the 2008 data, with a total of just seven sherds dating to c. 1400-1550 AD recovered from the twenty-five excavated sites.