Thirteen test pits were dug in Carleton Rode from which several observations could be made. Four pits (CRO07/6, CRO07/7, CRO07/9 and CRO07/11) produced Thetford ware (850-1100AD), all of which were in the Flaxlands/King Street common-edge part of the settlement. All six of the excavated pits in this part of the village containing medieval pottery dating to between c. 1200 and c. 1400. Of these, CRO07/6, CRO07/7, CRO07/ 9 and CRO07/11 all produced substantial quantities likely to indicate settlement in the near vicinity, with CRO07/9 revealing a beam-slot containing twelfth century pottery, sealed by undisturbed deposits containing no pottery later than c. 1400AD. CRO07/9 was the only site to produce any post-1400AD material, yielding just four small sherds (14g total assemblage weight) of Cistercian ware (1475-1700), which could equally well date to the early post-medieval period. Post-medieval pottery was recovered from five of the six pits in this part of the village (the exception being the easternmost, CRO07/5). A very different pattern was noted from the seven pits excavated around the church, which together produced a total of just one sherd of pre-1700AD date, possibly indicative of medieval manuring, but highly suggestive of an absence of settlement in this area until the post-medieval period, when CRO07/1 and CRO07/4 produced modest quantities of glazed red earthenwares (c. 1550-C19thAD). Although investigation at Carelton Rode is still at a very early stage, the evidence does seem at present to point towards the presence of an interrupted row medieval settlement near the common (which may or may not be contemporary) which probably originated in the later Anglo-Saxon period and which all but ceased to exist in the last couple of centuries of the middle ages before being re-colonised in the post-medieval period; while the area around the church was unoccupied, possibly used as arable, until quite recently. Further work will be carried out in Carleton Rode in 2008.