skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

Old Clee

 

Old Clee is located on the A46 less than a couple of kilometres from the seaside town of Cleethorpes and south of Grimsby town centre and is also a suberb of Grimsby, on the southern banks of the mouth of the River Humber.

It was once a separate settlement and recorded in the Domesday Book on AD 1086 as Cleia, the Old English word for 'clay' and referring to the heavy clay soils of the area, although Old Clee sits on a bedrock of chalk at about 10m OD. The focus of the settlement is to the north of the A46 and nucleated around the 11th century church of the Holy Trinity and Holy Mary the Virgin and the moated manorial site of Clee Hall to the south.

 

Local Information Websites

North East Lincolnshire Archaeology and History Society

Clee: British History Online

Old Clee Domesday Book

Historic England

Heritage Gateway

 

 

Projects by year

2017

ACA Twitter Timeline