Bardney is a small village in the West Lindsey district of Linclonshire, 15km southeast of Lincoln and 24km north of Sleaford and sitting on the eastern bank of the River Witham, on the first crossing point of the river to the south of Lincoln. The village sits at 10m OD, rising slightly to the north on mainly a West Walton Foundation of mudstone and siltstone with Ampthill Clay to the east and Oxford Clays to the west. The superficial deposits are a mixture of clays and silts with some sand and gravel along the river.
The site of Bardney Abbey to the north of the present village was founded during the mid-7th century by the King of Mercia, but was believed to have been destroyed by Viking raids in the later 9th century. The settlement was recorded as Bardenai possibly meaning the 'island of a man called Bearda' in the Domesday Book of 1086 and in the following year a new Benedictine Abbey was re-founded by Gilbert de Gaunt, which lasted until the Dissolution in 1538. The settlement today is focused around a large central crossroads of the B1190 and the B1202 as well as a number of smaller lanes.
Local Information Websites
Projects by year