Daws Heath is located in south Essex c. 6km west of Southend and c. 9km east of Basildon. In an area which is generally very built up, the village today is sited in secluded wooded countryside less than 1km south of the busy A127. The settlement today is arranged in a large block mostly south of an east-west-orientated lane, dominated by a triangular arrangement of minor streets. Although quite large, the settlement retains a rural character to it. There is little historical data on Daw’s Heath, with place names deriving from medieval records not alluding to habitation, including an association with Philip Dawe in 1285 and Wyburns (north of the junction between Dawes Heath Road and Bramble Road) recorded as Wyberneswde in 1253. Local histories record that until recently the area was largely given over to woodland industries such as charcoal burning, supplemented by smuggling from the nearby coast. Daws Heath lies within Thundersley parish, but gained a non-conformist chapel in the mid-19th century (founded by the Peculiar People movement), originally sited in Western Road but now rebuilt on Daws Heath Road. The First Edition of the Ordnance Survey 6” to one mile map shows the late 19th century settlement to be very much smaller than it is today. The triangular arrangement of roads is clearly present, but with just a dozen or so cottages strung very intermittently along these, supplemented by three larger discrete homesteads/farm complexes present at Great Wyburns (south of the present Tylerset Farm), Haresland and Bramblehall. Otherwise the area is one of small fields and woodland.
Local Information Websites
Projects by Year