Nine test pits were dug by HEFA in Thorney in 2006. Test pits THO/06/7, 06/8 and 06/9, sited in the east of the present village at c. 3.4m OD, were all devoid of any pre-modern finds. Although excavation was only able to proceed to a depth of 20cm in THO/06/7 as the water table was reached at this point, this in itself suggested the likely reason for the rejection of this low-lying part of the present village for occupation in the Anglo-Saxon and medieval period. However, in THO/06/8 a layer of charcoal within the clay subsoil was noted c. 60cm below the surface, which was tentatively interpreted as of possible prehistoric origin. Further west, around the church, test pits THO/06/2, 06/3 and 06/4 all produced small quantities of pottery dating to 1200-1400 AD, with 06/4 producing the only evidence for pre-Conquest activity in the form of a single sherd of Stamford ware. All six test pits in the western part of the village (nearer the abbey church) showed a marked rise in activity, as represented by the quantity of pottery sherds, in the immediate post-Dissolution period: this was particularly marked in the westernmost two pits (THO/06/1 and 06/2).