The village of Peakirk is situated in north west Cambridgeshire close to the border with Lincolnshire, 4km south of Market Deeping, 8km north of Peterborough City and 12km east of Stamford. Peakirk lies on the B1443 between Glinton and Newborough, with the A15 to the west and fenland to the east.
The modern village of Peakirk is broadly linear in layout along a street roughly parallel with the present path of the Folly River dyke, which meets with the River Welland just to the NE of the village. While both these rivers have been straightened and canalised in recent times, the positioning of Peakirk village historically reflects the line of Car Dyke, a Roman canal of late 1st or early 2nd century AD date. This ran for c.140km along the western edge of the fens between Waterbeach on the River Cam and Washingborough on the River Witham (a few miles south of Lincoln). Peakirk lies inside the apex of a former bend in Car Dyke, to the south and west of the dyke on land protected from flooding (PSPCC 2010).
In Peakirk today there is a single major junction at the centre of the town, at the meeting of three roads linking Peakirk with Glinton to the west, Newborough/Thorney to the east and Market Deeping to the north. The heart of Peakirk today falls in this area, around Rectory Lane which formerly continued as a direct pathway to Glinton, and Chestnut Close where the Church of St Pega and now stands. This area also includes a small green with a stone-built war memorial, and the larger Chestnut Green, located beside the junction. The existing church was mostly built during the 12th century AD.
The name Peakirk derives from ‘Pegas’s church’ (formerly æt Pegecyrcan in 1016 and Paycherch at least until 1249), and is the reputed home of St. Pega, a local saint reputed to have founded a church there in the 8th century AD.
Local Information Websites
Projects by Year