15 test pits were excavated by HEFA pupils and university students in Great Shelford in 2006. Two of these (GTS/06/2 and 10) produced pottery of 1st to 2nd century AD date. This can tentatively be used to suggest that that activity in the early Roman period may have focussed in this area, near the later church. The same area produced pottery of late Anglo-Saxon date. In addition, GTS/06/13, within the area of High Green, also produced late Anglo-Saxon pottery including two large adjoining sherds of the Thetford ware 90cm below the surface in undisturbed levels with no later material. Pottery of 11th to 16th century date was derived exclusively from pits along, and north of, the High Street, near Buristead Road (where the association of this name with 11th century shelly wares is possibly of interest), with an absence of material from intervening pits (GTS/06/3 and 4) perhaps hinting at the presence of 2 separate nodes of activity at this time. The Buristead Road area produced no finds for the later period (post c 1400), with pottery of this date derived instead from pits further south, including GTS06/3 and 06/4, perhaps suggesting the appearance, or coalescence, of a more nucleated settlement extending east from the church area. A picture of gradual late medieval expansion east is given some support by the presence of post-medieval pottery in this area.