Girton today is a large village of about 4,500 people, situated to the north-west of the city of Cambridge. It lies at c. 20m OD on gault clay overlain in places by gravel. The village today is arranged along either side of two parallel streets, Church Lane and High Street, which are oriented south-west/north-east and lie approximately 500m east of the Washpit Brook. Cambridge Road runs diagonally away from the north end of Church Lane and provides access to several smaller closes on either side. This appears to be a more recent feature of the settlement plan. To the south of the High Street, Duck End contains a number of older houses and may have previously been a separate end or hamlet: it lies more then 500m from the church. Manor Farm lies a similar distance north of the church, separated from it by areas of predominantly modern housing development.
Previous archaeological work in Girton has been of limited extent, although in 1880 a cemetery was found with at least 225 burials, including 130 cremations. This was in use from the second century AD to the early Anglo-Saxon period. This was sited close to Girton College, to the south-west of the present village. The church of St Andrew was so named by 1240 and contains herringbone masonry of 12th-century date in the lower west wall of the tower.
Local Information Websites
Projects by Year