Eight test pits were excavated in Castor in 2011, bringing the total to twenty-three. Pits were sited on the north side of the existing village, and just outside it in the grounds of Hill House, on higher ground to the south-east of the village. Much less Romano-British pottery was found than in previous years, suggesting that the northern limits of the Roman settlement may have been reached just a little north of Church Street (which runs east-west immediately north of the church).
Small amounts of Stamford ware from CTR/11/07 and CTR/11/08 (1 sherd weighing less than 5g from each pit) suggest that the settlement indicated by finds of larger amounts of pottery west of the church and along High Street in 2009 and 2010 may represent the remains of two discrete, smaller areas of settlement, rather than a continuous large village. Alternatively, this variation may be due to the inclusion of this part of the present village within the precinct of the nunnery in this area in the 7th – 11th century. Little material of high medieval date was found in the 2011 pits, and even less of late medieval date, reflecting the impression established from 2009 and 2010 excavations of marked decline in the later medieval period. In possible contrast, two moderately sized (5g) sherds of Bourne ‘D’ Ware (dating to 1450-1637) from CTR/11/01, south of Hill House, from a pit which produced no other material of Anglo-Saxon or medieval date, may indicate that some sort of activity in this area commenced here in the late medieval period.